North West Official Opening event in Braybrook:
showcasing our program highlights for 2018.
We were delighted to launch the Official Opening of our North West Office in Braybrook on Wednesday 17 October, 2018. The Hon. Marsha Thomson MP, State Member for Footscray, Concern Australia Ambassadors, Justin and Lauren Bowen, our Founder, Rev. Dr. John Smith and his wife Glena, along with past and present Board Members, staff, volunteers, supporters and friends come along to this event.
Starting with a Welcome to Country and Smoking Ceremony from Wurundjeri Elder Ron Jones, guests were invited into our new premises with a sense of belonging and pride understanding some of the local history.
Our Chair, David Eldrige AM, presented program highlights and achievements from the past year. David acknowledged the Board, leadership team, staff, volunteers and all of our generous supporters who have helped us work towards our VISION2020.
This past financial year we have helped:
- 48 students learn through the Hand Brake Turn program;
- 47 young people have been housed and helped with the support of 30 Live In Mentors alongside our youth workers, housing officers and case workers through Inside Out;
- 53 children have participated in fun filled learning activities through our LiveWires program at Collinwood Housing Estate;
- 100 young men have been supported at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre;
- 95 people have been helped through the STEPS Outreach program and we have supported young people on the streets 47/52 weeks of the year; and
- 26,709 students took part in 359 seminars through our Values for Life program.
We heard inspiring and emotional words from our Ambassadors Justin and Lauren Bowen, who shared the journey of Justin as a 14 year old student of Hand Brake Turn in Sunshine in 2007, to starting his own racing career in the formula 500 division. Lauren said that Justin was her hero as he encouraged her to follow her own dreams in racing as well and Justin said that his sister really is his backbone!
Our CEO Michelle Crawford thanked everyone for their prayerful and practical support and said “Because of you, we can continue to offer Hope and Care for Young People and Children, and make the world a better place for current and future generations.”
As our Chair said “We know our future is bright when we see the possibilities in the lives of the children and young people we connect with. Together, we are focussed on realising their potential!”
Alternatively, if you would like a copy of our Annual Report sent to you, please do not hesitate to contact our office on 03 9470 2972.