MECHANIC – fiXit Social Enterprise
- Full Time, 12 months Fixed Term
- Located at North West and South East
Concern Australia is a dynamic not-for-profit organisation that has, for the past 50 years, worked with vulnerable young people and children, creating opportunities that see them reach their potential.
Join an organisation that is making a positive difference in the lives of young people!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Do you want to use your automotive skills and combine them in a role that will see you engaging with young people that are looking to change the direction of their lives? Yes….
Then this newly created role for an experienced automotive professional with a passion to see the next generation succeed may be just for you.
Working within the fiXit social enterprise, you will assist with the day to day running of the workshop while ensure trainees are given the best possible start to their career in the automotive industry. This role is designed for a mechanic who wants to make a difference.
Accredited by Social Traders, fiXit social enterprise provides a service to the local community through the provision of service and repair of vehicles (handbook servicing), the collection of donated vehicles for restoration, sale and/or donation to individuals in need.
The Key Duties of the Role include:
- Undertaking the role of a mechanic in a fully functioning automotive workshop.
- Assist with overseeing a dynamic workshop environment.
- Mentoring young people.
- Assisting trainees in their development by delivering quality on the job training.
- Ensuring compliance with Workplace Health and Safety Standards and Child Safety Standards.
- Working closely with the fiXit Social Enterprise Coordinator, colleagues within the Hand Brake Turn program and across Concern Australia.
This is a full time, 2-year fixed term position that can be spread over 4-5 days, and will be based at our North West office in Braybrook. Travel to our South East workshop in Dandenong, will be required.
This position is classified in accordance with the Vehicle Repair Services and Retail Award 2020 RS&R Level II R7 with the salary range and the level to be commensurate with the skills and experience.
The successful applicant for this position will be able to demonstrate:
- Demonstrated commitment and personal desire to adhere to Concern Australia’s Mission, Vision, Values and Goals.
- Automotive industry, qualified mechanic.
- Business and commercial skills to market, develop and grow a small business.
- Sound presentation skills, including an ability to facilitate group discussions and activities with demonstrated experience in working with young people.
- Ability to relate to young people who may come from socially disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Intermediate computer skills, including the use of Microsoft Outlook, MS Word, Excel and database entry.
- Willingness to obtain a valid Working with Children Check, satisfactory National Police Check (or International where required) as it relates to the Social Enterprise Coordinator position.
- Willingness to obtain Certificate IV in Training and Assessment qualification.
- Current Victorian Driver’s Licence.
Desirable but not essential:
- Life experience, or experience in running a small business.
- Qualifications in Youth Work, Social Work or Community Development.
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
- Relevant experience in a Community/Not for Profit sector, including working with vulnerable persons.
- First Aid Certificate.
- Experience working with various digital platforms, including social media.
Appointments are subject to eligibility and the legal right to work in Australia.
Appointments are subject to satisfactory Working with Children Check, National Police Check, International Police Check (If resided overseas for a period of 12 months or longer for the past 10 years) and other employment screening or credential checks as determined by the position description.
This role is considered an ‘authorized worker’. Successful applicants will be required to provide evidence of an immunization assessment and COVID-19 Vaccination (or valid exemption) prior to commencement.
BENEFITS WE OFFER
- Access to competitive salary packaging to increase your take home pay
- Supported training and development programs
- Employee Assistance Program, a free and confidential counselling service
- Flexible work arrangements
- On-site parking
HOW TO APPLY
For further information, please contact Richard Parker, General Manager Living, Learning and Earning on 0402 017 192.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and a statement addressing the key selection criteria (as outlined in the attached position description) to Inga Teague, HR Advisor with the subject ‘Mechanic – fiXit’ Social Enterprise via Inga.Teague@concernaustralia.org.au
Read the Position Description here.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Concern Australia is committed to build and maintain an inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals of diverse backgrounds including but not limited to people from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with a disability to apply for advertised positions.
If you have the skills to do the advertised role and think you would be a good fit for our organisation, we would love to hear from you!
Child Safety Statement
Concern Australia is committed to providing child safe and protected environments in all its activities and programs and has a zero-tolerance approach to child abuse or exploitation. Contact and working with children is a critical responsibility. Children have the right to be safe and protected.